Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 101: Joshwa and The Movies


When Joshwa was 3 I took him to watch Finding Nemo he cried the whole time. He probably didn’t like the sound or the dim lights. I got stares and shhhushes from people and we left the cinema.

When  he was around 6 we tried to watch a movie s again. This time in a $1 movie theater.Can’t say that he enjoyed it but he also didn’t give any indication that he didn’t like it. Which was a great sign so we did it again we watched another movie in the same theater. I guess it also helped that the moviehouse doesn’t have a lot of people at that time
A few months later we (my sister and I) bought tickets to Pirates of the Caribbean At World’s End showing in El Capitan Theatre

.It was a success because he sat through the movie and did  not put up any fuss. I really hope we could try to watch a movie here but I was more traumatized by the Finding Nemo Experience. I really, really want to try to do it again. I’m still waiting for the right time.

This morning while doing my daily blog hopping  I read Pinky’s blog and she mentioned thatPicturehouses offers Autism-Friendly Screenings  that are geared especially for people on the autism spectrum and their families. Some people with autism are sensitive to sound and light which makes going to the movies a bit of a challenge.

During Autism-Friendly Screenings low lights are left on  and the level of  volume  of the soundtrack is lessened. No one even looks at you if your child decides to make sounds or starts laughing and jumping around while the movie is being shown.
I really like this idea and I hope someday to line up and be able to watch a movie again with Joshwa. The good news is that this dream might soon be a reality. Standby for more information on this great news.

No comments:

Post a Comment